MSc Jiří Sláma, PhD
After having spent 8 years at the University of Bergen (Norway) where I had used array of the ICP-MS and laser instruments for isotopic analysis of geological materials (Single collector, double focusing magnetic sector ICP-mass spectrometer Thermo Finnigan Element 2, NU Attom; Multi-collector, double focusing magnetic sector ICP-mass spectrometer Thermo Finnigan Neptune, NU Plasma II; New Wave UP-213 NdYAG laser system, Resonetics excimer 193 nm laser ), I returned back to the Academy of Sciences in Prague in 2016. Here I pursue a number of different topics of geology with focus on geochemical applications. Besides the routine LA-ICP-MS U-Pb zircon dating, in-situ zircon Hf analysis and Lu-Hf chemical dilution techniques I will focus on a developement and implementation of new (chemical abrasion for LA-ICP-MS zircon dating) as well as classical methods (ID-TIMS U-Pb dating of accessory minerals).
My research will now be more focused on the Variscan orogenic system while keeping connections to the topics I used to work on previously (Scandinavian Caledopnides, S. Africa - S.America panafrican orogen, zircon detrital provenance studies etc.)
Ongoing and future projects:
Study of the zircon provenance of the metamorphosed Variscan rocks in Central Europe (Bohemian Massif)
Petrology, geochemistry and evolution of the Kaoko Belt in Namibia and its relationship to the South American counterpart
- Geology of Scandinavian Caledonides
The other topics studied in past are listed below:
Timanian orogen foreland basin of Baltica in Lower Paleozoic
Reliability of the zircon detrital provenance studies - experimental approach
Hf isotopes in zircon - complex behaviour, age of crystallization vs. origin of the rocks
Detrital provenance of Neoproterozolic to Cretaceous sedimentary sequences of the eastern margin of Greenland
Evolution of the Jan Mayen microcontinent
Structure, emplacement, and tectonic setting of Late Devonian granitoid plutons in the Tepla–Barrandian unit, Bohemian Massif
Investigation of the Sm-Nd isotopic system in accessory minerals by laser ablation MC-ICP-MS technique with potential for mineral single-grain Sm-Nd dating
Plesovice zircon - a newly established international zircon reference material for Laser ablation ICP-MS isotopic analyses
Partition of trace elements between coexisting minerals in metamorphic rocks and their use in geothermometry
Palaeogeographic significance of the roof pendants of the Central Bohemian Plutonic Complex in the Bohemian Massif; sedimentary provenance studies
Growth and behaviour of zircon in high-grade metamorphic rocks
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
- J. Žák, J. Sláma, M. Burjak (online 1/2016): Rapid extensional unroofing of a granite–migmatite dome with relics of high-pressure rocks, the Podolsko complex, Bohemian Massif. Accepted to Geological Magazine.
- L. Ackerman, E. Haluzová, M. Bizimis, J. Sláma, M. Svojtka, T. Hirajima, V. Erban (In review): Re-Os and Lu-Hf isotopic constraints on the formation and age of mantle pyroxenites from the Bohemian Massif, Czech Republic. Resubmitted (2/2016) after revision to Lithos.
- J. Slama, R-B. Pedersen (2015): Zircon provenance of SW Caledonian phyllites reveals a distant Timanian sediment source, J. Geol. Soc. London, 172, 465-478.
- S.W. Faryad, V. Kachlík, J. Sláma, G. Hoinkes (2015): Corona formation in metatroctolite from the Moldanubian zone (Bohemian Massif), Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 33, 295-310.
- J. Konopásek, E. Pilátová, J. Košler, J. Sláma (2014): Zircon (re)crystallization during short-lived high-pressure granulite facies metamorphism (Eger Complex, NW Bohemian Massif), Journal of Metamorphic Geology, 32, 885-902. doi:10.1111/jmg.12098
- J. Konopásek, J. Košler, J. Sláma, V. Janoušek (2014): Timing and sources of pre-collisional Neoproterozoic sedimentation along the SW margin of the Congo Craton (Kaoko Belt, NW Namibia), Gondwana Research, 26, 386-401, Doi: 10.1016/j.gr.2013.06.021
- J. Košler, J. Konopásek, J. Sláma, S. Vrána (2014): U-Pb zircon provenance of Moldanubian metasediments in the Bohemian Massif, Journal of the Geological Society London, vol. 171, 83-95, doi:10.1144/jgs2013-059
- J. Kosler, J. Slama, E. Belousova, F. Corfu, G. Gehrels, A. Gerdes, M Horstwood, K. Sircombe, P. Sylvester, M. Tiepolo, M. Whitehouse, J. Woodhead (2013): U-Pb detrital zircon analysis – results of inter-laboratory comparison, Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research, 37, 3, 243-259, DOI: 10.1111/j.1751-908X.2013.00245.x
- J. Žák, K. Verner, J. Sláma, V. Kachlík, M. Chlupáčová (2013): Multistage magma emplacement and progressive strain accumulation in the shallow-level Krkonoše–Jizera plutonic complex, Bohemian Massif, Tectonics, Volume 32, Issue 5, pages 1493–1512, doi: 10.1002/tect.20088
- J. Slama, J. Kosler (2012): Effects of sampling and mineral separation on accuracy of detrital zircon studies, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3), vol. 13 (5), 17p, doi:10.1029/2012GC004106
- E. G. Grosch, J. Kosler, N. McLoughlin, K. Drost, J. Slama, R. B. Pedersen (2011): Paleoarchean detrital zircon ages from the earliest tectonic basin in the Barberton Greenstone Belt, Kaapvaal craton, South Africa, Precambrian Research, vol. 191, 1-2, 85-99.
- J. Zak, Z. Kratinova, J. Trubac, V. Janousek, J. Slama, J. Mrlina (2011): Structure, emplacement, and tectonic setting of Late Devonian granitoid plutons in the Tepla–Barrandian unit, Bohemian Massif, Int J Earth Sci (Geol Rundsch), vol. 100, 1477-1495.
- J. Slama, O. Walderhaug, H. Fonneland, J. Kosler, R.-B. Pedersen (2011): Provenance of Neoproterozoic to Upper Cretaceous sedimentary rocks, eastern Greenland: Implications for recognizing the sources of sediments in the Norwegian Sea, Sedimentary Geology, vol. 238, 3-4, 254-267,
- J. Sláma, D. J. Dunkley, V. Kachlík, M. A. Kusiak (2008): Evidence for a transition from island-arc to passive setting on the continental margin of Gondawana: U-Pb zircon dating of Neoproterozoic metaconglomerates from the SE margin of the Teplá-Barrandian Unit, Bohemian Massif, Tectonophysics., vol. 461 (2008), 44 – 59,
- J. Sláma, J. Košler, D. J. Condon, J. L. Crowley, A. Gerdes, J. M. Hanchar, M. S. A. Horstwood, G. A. Morris, L. Nasdala, N. Norberg, U. Schaltegger, B. Schoene, M. N. Tubrett, M. J. Whitehouse (2008): Plešovice zircon – a new natural reference material for U-Pb and Hf isotopic microanalysis, Chemical Geology, vol. 249, no. 1-2 (2008), 1–35,
- J. Sláma, J. Košler, R. B. Pedersen (2007): Behaviour of zircon in high-grade metamorphic rocks: evidence from Hf isotopes, trace elements and textural studies, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 154, no. 3 (2007), 335-356.